Tuesday, May 22, 2007

New Settlers Scenarios

Over the weekend, Rebekah and I tried out some new Settler of Catan scenarios from the University of Catan (Mayfairer) website. Dave and Melissa Hendricks even tried one out with us. We all LOVED the Pirate's Isle scenario, which adds some cool variants, including a volcano.

I have now decided that this is the greatest game ever made. There are so many different ways that you can play it/change it that it never gets old, and each way adds some fun variables to the gameplay. If anyone plays Settlers and wants to know the rules for Pirate's Isle, I can send them to you.

Mayfairer has a contest for the best new scenario created by gamers so I am now working on my own scenario, which is a variant of Pirate's Isle but more of a challenge. So far, it's only a two-player scenario and each player controls a raider (robber) that they get to place on their opponent when they roll a seven. The raider then collects for that player whatever his opponent would have produced off of that hex. The raider can only be moved by playing a soldier card and banishing him to the desert isle. There are two pirate islands and each player must build on one before landing on his opponents island. The pirate ship is activated when two sevens are rolled in a row. The person who rolled the second seven is then attacked by the pirate. One die is rolled to determine how many cards the pirate will steal. Lots more ocean to sail in this scenario, too.

On our pilot run, Rebekah sunk me bad. I would no sooner get the raider off of me than it would be back again. *groan* Beaten at my own scenario.

Here is a pic of the gameboard for a small two-player setup, using the volcano and jungle.



I also bought two new rivers to use in the Prospectors scenarios.

2 comments:

cokelady said...

GREEK TO ME. But enjoy--and good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I also like Catan. I'm making my own customized version here: http://hexes-of-kaahtan.blogspot.com